Jesse and I had a blast in Seattle. Here are five things you do not want to miss:
5. The Space Needle: I mean, come on. You can’t come to Seattle and skip out on the Space Needle. (While you’re there, though, check out the Experience Music Project, a super-fun interactive musical attraction that’s got everything from Jimmy Hendrix’s guitars to Nirvana’s mixtapes.)
4. Shopping in Pioneer Square: This is a lovely part of town, with cute boutiques and funky bookstores. If you’ve got time, check out the Underground Tour, which will give you a whole new perspective on the city.
3. Hiram M. Chittenden Locks in Ballard: Just a short drive from downtown is Ballard, where you’ll find the Chittenden Locks, a gorgeous not-to-miss sight has a fish ladder that lets you see salmon swimming upstream. (Also relax in the botanical gardens.)
2. Pike Place Market: Overrun with tourists, but still worth a stop, Pike Place Market is a beautiful market with something for everyone. You’ll find gorgeous flowers and produce, as well as fresh seafood (and, yes, the men who throw salmon), and tons of shops selling everything from toys to artisan soaps. Starbucks fans, take note: The “original” Starbucks location can be found just across the street from the market. Just be prepared for the line!
1. Alki Beach: Our favorite spot in Seattle was nearby Alki beach, a perfect place to watch as the sun sets on the Emerald City. Gorgeous skyline views.
And here’s where we stayed, the Grand Hyatt Seattle: